Top 10 Reasons to Become a Citizen:
3. Government Jobs and Benefits: Some government jobs and benefits are only available to U.S. Citizens. In fact some government agencies specifically do not protect permanent residents eligible for Citizenship who decided not to become Citizens within 6 months of eligibility.
4. Public Office: You must be a U.S. Citizen to run for or hold public office.
5. The Right to Sponsor Family Members for a Green Card: Becoming a U.S. Citizen comes with the privilege of being able to sponsor relatives for a green card (including parents, children, spouses, and siblings).
6. Protecting Your Children: Permanent Resident Children under the age of 18 (in their parent’s lawful/legal custody) automatically become citizens.
7. U.S. passport: When traveling with a U.S. passport abroad, you will have the full force of the U.S. Government behind you. This includes assistance from U.S. embassies if needed.
8. Guaranteed Re-entry to the United States After Traveling Abroad: After leaving the U.S. for more than 180 days, Permanent Residents can lose their green card upon attempted re-entry if the Port of Entry determines that the green card has been abandoned. An immigration attorney can obtain a re-entry permit for green card holders. This allows Permanent Residents to travel abroad for up to two years without “abandoning” his/her U.S. residence.
9. Grants and Scholarships: Many College Scholarships and other Federal Grants are only available to U.S. Citizens.
10.Tax and Estate Reasons: Property left to a spouse is exempt from the estate tax, if the spouse is a U.S. Citizen. The tax code also allows other free transfers of property between U.S. Citizen spouses. If the spouse is not a U.S. Citizen the transfer is subject to taxation.